Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Review - Sopheon Vision Strategist

The purpose of this article is to take a brief look at a roadmapping application (Alignent Vision Strategist).

As you have probably discovered, the degree to which the roadmapping process is automated is really up to you.

At the low end, you can get by with a word processing application (e.g. MS Word) and some basic drawing tools (e.g. MS Visio). The implication here is that the roadmapping process is completely manual. In this scenario, the roadmap itself is more suited to communication than analysis. The extent to which the roadmap is a living arifact boils down to how often you decide to conduct the manual process (e.g. quartlerly) and update the associated roadmap documentation.

In the mid-range, you can use a tool or tools to support the semantics of roadmapping. For example, although MS Project was not intended as a roadmapping tool, the semantics of project management are sufficiently close to those of roadmapping that you can use MS Project to create and maintain a (basic) roadmap. Alternately, you might consider some freeware/shareware that supports basic roadmapping (leave a comment with your email address and I'll be happy to suggest one).

At the top end, you can use a tool that was specifically designed with roadmapping in mind, such as the Alignent Vision Strategist.



After trying the tool out, here are my observations:

Pros
- this is more than a roadmapping tool, it is really a general-purpose repository with built-in support for roadmapping concepts, hence you will find all the features that you would normally associate with a bona fide repository
- supports analysis as well as communication
- roadmap is a living artifact
- product is easy to use (if you already understand roadmapping concepts)

Cons
- since this is more than a simple roadmapping tool, the price tag may cause you to faint off momentarily, hence you should remain seated when reviewing a quote from the vendor
- the graphics are effective but not flashy, hence if you want to make a presentation to the board, you will still need to retain the services of a graphic artist to embellish the output

I am thinking of creating a simple/inexpensive roadmapping tool for iPad and would like your feedback as to the features you would like to see in it -- just post a comment if you can think of anything.

Meanwhile I have created a portable hardcopy version of my roadmapping methodology. It consists of a series of photo business cards, each depicting a step in the method. I bought a nice metal card case for it so I can look professional when presenting the methodology to clients. Here is a photo of the case, as well as a few of the cards themselves:


If you'd like to try my approach, just send me a $75 cheque for the set (cards and case) -- price includes postage. Make your cheque payable to "Dan Murray" and mail it to Dan Murray, 10040 Hyndman Rd, RR#2 Mountain, Ontario Canada, K0E 1S0

27 comments:

Jaba said...

Would you send your suggestions about freeware tools providing basic roadmapping capabilities. my email: jstmeltaus@yahoo.com

Vijay said...

I want to try some freeware/shareware first. can u please gie the info.
Thanks in advance.
vijay1975@gmail.com

Vijay said...

I want to try some freeware/shareware first. can u please gie the info.
Thanks in advance.
vijay1975@gmail.com

rohopo said...

Thank you for this review. I am also interested in any shareware roadmapping tools. Please email those that you are aware of to robert.powell@inl.gov

Mika-Leah said...

Hi, Thanks for the review. I'd appreciate it if you could suggest some open source / shareware roadmapping tools that you're familiar with.

Thanks
su34ir@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Interested in Freeware alternatives. Good Review! Thanks very much.

IggleArchitect said...

I would also be interested in the freeware/shareware alternatives list. Thanks in advance!

igglearchitect@gianteagle.com

Anonymous said...

I would also be interested

ldmccarty@earthlink.net

Psychokiller said...

Please send me an email with your freeware/shareware suggestions.

Thanks

Psychokiller said...

Please send me an email with your freeware/shareware suggestions.

Thanks

psychokiller at gmail dot com

IggleArchitect said...

I would be interested in the list of freeware/shareware tools to do roadmapping. Thanks in advance.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the posting! I would like to get more information on the freeware/shareware software

chelly85086@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for the posting! I would like to get more information on the freeware/shareware software

chelly85086@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Great blog...will you please send my your suggestions on freeware/shareward? Thanks.

ncjessb@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for this review. Could you please share your freeware / shareware recommendation as well? Thank you!

moto178@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Would you send me your suggestions about freeware/shareware tools?
Thanks,
olcay.oztanir@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Would you send me your suggestions about freeware/shareware tools?
Thanks,
pillers@unr.edu

Tobias said...

Can you please suggest me some tools that provide at least basic roadmapping capabilities.
my email: Tobias.Kueper@gmail.com

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi thanks for this review. I am interested in roadmapping software to use within our Research center and are currently trying to evaluate the (seemingly limited!) options. if you could provide any links that would be great.

aluk80 at hotmail dot com

Unknown said...

I would also be interested in your suggestions for freeware / shareware roadmapping tools. Thanks!

simon@hollyhockcottage.co.uk

IggleArchitect said...

Not sure poster is managing this anymore?... This is third time I've requested to see suggestions on freeware/shareware. Please email to igglearchitect@gmail.com - thanks in advance. If any other requestors have received this info, please share.

Unknown said...

I am interested in freeware/shareware tools for creating a technology roadmap.
Thanks much.
tdorow44@gmail.com

Vince said...

I would be interested in the list of freeware/shareware tools to do roadmapping. Thanks in advance.

vince(at)bluemail.ch

Philippe said...

I would be interested in the list of freeware/shareware tools to do roadmapping.
my email adress : quatreheures@hotmail.com

Sam Septembre said...

I would like to see a recommendation for freeware as well. samseptembre@yahoo.com

AEJr said...

Hi, Thanks for the review. I want to try some freeware/shareware tool first. I'd appreciate it if you could suggest one. Thanks in advance.
My email is: elias.bosque@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I would also be interested in the freeware/shareware alternatives list. Thanks in advance! nreinerova@gmail.com